Monday, May 11, 2009

Birthday Hanukkah

A few years ago my roommates and I instituted the practice of Birthday Hanukkah. The practice came out of the observation that birthday festivities seem to stretch out beyond one's actual birthdate. Between different groups of friends and family outtings, the celebration usually lasts about a week. Now I imagine as I get older birthday hanukkah will gradually shrink as my friends and I get more involved in married life and raising families but at least for now the week long celebration continues and I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Friday, May 1st
After work I met up with Nate and my family at the Desert Botanical Gardens to see the Chihuly glass exhibit they've had going on for a while now. I've been wanting to go since it got there but hadn't had a chance and with it leaving at the end of May we figured we'd better get on it. For those that aren't familiar with Chihuly he does huge blown glass installations throughout the world. He takes a lot of care to make and place pieces that really fit in and play off of the natural surroundings. Here are some of my favorite shots.



After we got done wandering around the gardens we went to Macayo's for a birthday dinner with my family. Since my birthday is on Cinco de Mayo it's only fitting that I celebrate with Mexican food.

Sunday, May 3rd
This was our Sunday to cook dinner for Nate's family, which can be an event in and of its self. On any given Sunday we can have between 15-20 people (including kids) at dinner. It can be a fun challenge since I like to cook but it is definitely a change cooking for that many people. This Sunday was also special because we celebrated my brother-in-law Danny's birthday (May 4th) and mine. My mother-in-law made each of us a cake (mine was chocolate of course) and we opened presents. My favorite had to be the card from my mother-in-law with a $50 bill inside but not because of the money. Upon seeing it my niece Audrey pointed and started laughing hysterically..."Haha, you got a DOLLAR! Haha." I didn't have the heart to tell her it was more than $1 so yep Audrey I got a dollar.
This particular Sunday was also fun because my parents came over to join us for dinner. It's fun to have the two families enjoy spending time together and get along. I had to laugh because twice my nephew Ryan mistook my dad for Pappa Matthews. The first time Ryan came running in from playing outside and dog-piled my dad who was sitting on the floor. It left dad a little surprised, and Ryan a little embarrassed but we all got a good laugh. About an hour later after we had finished having cake, Ryan came running in again and gave my dad a big huge around the legs only to realize moments later that it wasn't Grandpa. What a cutie!

Tuesday, May 5th
This one deserves a post of its own since my hubby's so cute.

Wednesday, May 6th
On Wednesday my friend Chrissy and I went to Cafe Rio (Yay! more Mexican). Chrissy's birthday was in the first part of April and I had been trying to take her out for weeks, so it was a joint birthday celebration.

Friday, May 8th
On Friday evening Nate and I went miniture golfing. This was our third time going since we first started dating and our score had been at one win each, so this game would put one of us ahead of the other. I started out with a few excellent holes, including a hole in one, that put me way ahead of Nate but things can change in the blink of an eye and after a few bad holes I fell behind and was never able to regain my ground. He beat me by 8 strokes.

Saturday, May 9th
On Saturday I had the chance to have a girl date with my good friend McKenna while my mom played grandma and watched her daughter Anna. It was nice to have some girl time, see a good chick flick, and chat over dinner.

It was a busy week but a great time to celebrate with friends and family.

4 comments:

CDR said...

Sounds like wonderful times. I really liked the exhibit, I thought the glass got cooler as it got darker.

Becca said...

Happy Birthday! My favorite is probably the little one laughing at your birthday dollar.

And Rigatony's is gone!! That was my favorite restaurant - boo hoo.

Stefani said...

we have been a bit busy but the birthday hannukah is definitely still on, because i owe you birthday dinner. I have been a bad friend and i am really sorry, but i have had your card since the beginning of april!! Call me so we can hit gecko!

Gardners said...

Well, this comment is late, but I had a blast, too! I love our girl dates! Tell Nate that I already called Marmaduke like six years ago!