Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 5: Feliz Cumple Anos


The fifth day of our cruise fell on my birthday and we spent the day in Puerto Rico. For my Puerto Rican birthday we wandered through Old San Juan visiting the forts and doing a little bit of shopping. In all I think we walked about 5 miles all over the city.



At the recommendation of my aunt who loves Puerto Rico, our first stop was to El Morro. El Morro is a cool old fort, with great views of the ocean, which was originally built to guard the entrance to San Juan Bay and defend Puerto Rico against enemies at sea.








The fort had just a few stairs, and no elevator.




Wandering around the fort put Nate in a swashbuckling mood.




That was later over come by his lazy surfer side.


One of the things I enjoyed most about Old San Juan was the architecture. Each building had it's own character and vibrant colors were every where. It makes the cookie cutter stucco homes seem a bit boring back home.








We loved our day in Puerto Rico but it was just too short to see everything Puerto Rico had to offer. One day I hope we get to go back.

3 comments:

Gardners said...

That pirate scares me! Arg!

Great recommendation by your aunt; that place looks awesome!

CDR said...

IT is so lovely there.

Becca said...

What a great way to spend your birthday!