Monday, October 5, 2009

She's Crafty


Before I got married, while I lived by myself, I got a little stingy about decorating for the holidays. I didn't see the point of going through the effort of pulling out all the decorations for just me. Thus I was scrooge of Valentine's Day, Halloween, and (GASP) even a Christmas. If you know my mother, you know the care and joy she has in decorating her house. A crafty and artistic woman by nature, there was always something being bought, sawed, painted or glued for the holiday season. My lack of crafty decoration nears sacrilige and I'm a bit surprised my mother hasn't disowned me for it.




Seeing the error of my ways, this year for Halloween I decided to try and make appropriate reprimands. Michael's has been my second home and Martha my muse. For weeks the spare room served as a staging area with bags of goodies waiting to emerge come October. I had my initiation with Modge Podge (Nate thought I was making up words until I showed him the bottle). I bought an exacto knife. I let Home Depot do the sawing but I did the sanding and painting. I even got in touch with my digital crafter to decorate the blog, which surprisingly took more time than regular crafts since I'm inexperienced at all the goodness that Photoshop Elements has to offer.

Hopefully all the work is reparition enough for my years of inactivity. Now for a headstart on Christmas.

1 comments:

Tim said...

Very impressive - it looks like you've been doing it for years. Also, I miss Home Depot (there isn't one within 80 miles of Coos bay).