Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Finally Fall


FALL IS CREEPING into the Valley of the Sun, and I have to admit it's one of my favorite times here in Arizona. The first inclings of fall signal the light at the end of the tunnel, the coming sweet reward for enduring the refiner's fire of summer. Respite is on its way. The sweet summer treats of strawberries, cherries, and melons disappear from grocery store and are replaced by pumpkins, apples, pomegranates and squashes of all different shapes and colors.

Fall in Arizona means double digit temperatures, lower electric bills, open windows and fresh air. Fall in Arizona means coming out of summer hibernation and enjoying the outdoors again with bike rides, hikes, and nights relaxing on the back patio. Fall in Arizona means ASU football and letting the kids go trick-or-treating without wearing a big jacket to keep warm.

There's only one thing I miss about fall that we don't get much of in the valley, changing leaves. To find evidence of autumn leaves you have to head North, and even then it doesn't quite compare to the autumn leaves elsewhere. This is one thing I'm earnestly looking forward to in our upcoming trip to Philadelphia. So listen up Philly trees, you have 2 weeks before I get there and I expect to see a full fall spectacular. Rich reds, bright oranges and golden yellows, the WORKS! I don't know when I'll ever make it back out your way thus making this possibly a once in a lifetime trip. Don't be shy or modest, show me what you're working with.

2 comments:

Gardners said...

You have such an eloquent way of working with nature. I am right there with you - thank goodness for the coming cool air!! You'll have to look back through a few of your older posts - I've been a delinquent blog follower lately!!

Becca said...

Yeah, the leaves are beautiful in Oregon.