Monday, October 6, 2008

Making a List, Checking it Twice!

No I'm not taking a part time job as Santa Clause, but I do feel like I'm asking everyone else to play the part as recently Nate and I took a couple days and started our gift registry. Yes you read that right, "a couple days" and "start." Ok really we started 2 registries at 2 seperate stores but still. Over all we had a lot of fun but you (or at least I) can only make so many decisions before my head wants to explode. 300 vs 400 vs 500 thread count. Sateen vs all cotton. Stainless steel vs non-stick. This pattern of flatwear vs that pattern of flatwear. Dirt devil vs hoover. And they want how much for that????? I know that people want to give us presents to congratulate us on our wedding and start us out on our new life together but I still had a little bit of inner turmoil as I felt greedy asking for all this stuff. We're kind of in an interesting spot seeing as we've both been on our own for a while but we have a number of items that need to be replaced that were either hand-me-downs from roommates past (sorry Stef the avocado green toaster is reaching the end of it's days) or cheep college stuff (anyone interested in a $5 set of plastic cooking utensils? No, how about a $2 strainer?).

So as we work on perfecting our registry I'm curious, in looking back what was your favorite gift you received for your wedding? And/or what was one thing you didn't register for but really wished you had after the fact?



4 comments:

Stefani said...

ha ha....you dont want to keep the green toaster??? Its classic! The best gifts we got for our reception honestly were gift cards because then we could just get what we wanted, but since you dont really ask for that....I loved that we asked for and that people gave us games and movies and things that we could do together...not just decorations. Dont feel greedy putting things on your registry. My family got mad at me for how long our was, but so many other people thanked me for giving options and for putting a variety of gifts that we would really like and use but could be anywhere from 2$ to 200$ and let the people decide. I think it makes life easier for people to have choices....and think of it this way. you are not asking for everything on the list....just giving options.

Chad~Nicole said...

People were so generous to us that literally the only thing we had to buy was an ironing board. The dilema with registering is that you don't want to register for the cheapest thing because it's junk or the most expensive thing and look greedy. I wish I would've registered for a few nicer things...like a better blender. There were certain things that were important to me to have "nice" ones of (like towels and sheets) so I registered for that stuff at Dillard's, but I didn't really care if I got the cheap can opener or spatula. I personally don't like super long registries when I'm shopping for a gift. I think a few essentials in each category is sufficient, but that's just my opinion. (That way you get the stuff you REALLY want and not the stuff that would be fun to have. It was fun to get camping stuff. I agree with Stefani...gift cards were the best. :)

Meagan said...

I remember that I wish I had been a little more practical.... I registered for the "pretty" blender instead of the one that would be more useful that had more than 3 speeds :) Other than that, the only thing I wish I would've thought about were pretty/fun plates :) But remember- make sure they are dishwasher safe because you don't want to spend your whole life washing them by hand!

Carrie and Tyson said...

The coolest gift we got was this little appetizer grill thing. Imagine a fondue pot only without the pot and more fire, yep definitely cool. I wish we would have gotten a down comforter but those are kind of expensive so it is understandable that we didn't. Honestly though, just ask for gift cards or register at a place where you like a lot of their stuff so when you go back and exchange your three toasters and four crock-pots you can get that elephant humidifier that you always wanted.

Tyson Plastow