Thursday, August 20, 2009

Discovering NieNie

I live under a rock.

For a while now I've seen "I read NieNie" buttons on a few blogs that I stalk. I really didn't pay them much notice, figuring it was someone's crafty or scrapbook blog/shop. Then this week I saw NieNie listed on my friend Chari's blog roll. Knowing Chari has good taste, I clicked. I read. I cried. Then I remembered I was in my cube and tried to pull myself together so as to not raise suspicions.

For those that might be my neighbors under my rock, NieNie Dialogues are written by Stephanie Nielson, a mother of four, who was in a plane crash near St. Johns this time last year. The crash resulted in the death of the pilot (and their friend) and life threatening injuries to Stephanie and her husband, Christian. Christian was burned over 30% of his body, Stephanie burned over 80% and was kept in a drug induced coma for several months.

I'm "with it" enough to have read about the crash last year but I had no clue about her blog, which she started years ago and has continued after. Reading it is truly inspiring, touching, and heart-wrenching. As I mentioned earlier, I cried. I cried at the pain. I cried at her strength. I cried at the love that is so apparent in the relationships with her family, friends, and husband (the last being the type that great novelist write of). I cried at her beautiful writing and photos that show us the beauty in every day life all around us, even in the littlest things. Life is beautiful. Her photos alone are the final straw in what has been my growing desire for a DSLR camera.

I guess I'm saying that I'm officially a NieNie fan, I've even added a button. I'll just have to be sure that I keep a full box of Kleenex at my desk.

1 comments:

Chad~Nicole said...

Yes, you do live under a rock. :) I'm a NieNie fan too. Her mother-in-law spoke at our stake RS conference. She is an amazing woman too.