Monday, August 10, 2009

Mini Mob Mentality

I am more and more convinced that kids operate on a mob mentality. Inevitably if one kid has something or starts doing something it won't be long before the rest of the group picks it up. The mob was in full force this last Sunday from the get go. It started with one little boy busted out a little chorus of "Move it, Move it," and it wasn't long before a "Move it, Move it" wave was moving around the table, complete with both fists raised and punched into the air.

Next during the lesson, I was talking about how they are all children of god and pulled out a picture of a group of kids. One little boy ran up and pointed to a boy in the picture and exclaimed, "THAT'S ME!" Sure enough the rest of the kids all swarmed to the front and started pointing out kids in the picture and saying "THAT'S ME!" Nate pointed to a little african girl in the picture and said "That's Me!" I don't think the kids got that one.

Lastly while the kids were coloring I had to help one little girl in the restroom leaving Nate alone with 6 kids equipped with crayons. One boy decided to draw on Nate's sleeve, everyone thought it was funny, and before Nate could act quick enough he became a living art canvas casualty. Lesson learned, kids can sense a shift in the balance of power and will take the opportunity to strike swiftly.

I find it funny that boys seem to universally turn anything into some sort of weapon (gun, lightsaber, etc.). One little boy created a rifle out of blocks and I was really impressed by his engineering of how he built it; so much so that when 2 other boys asked me to build them one I kept looking over to copy his design. Then the biggest boy in the room (aka my husband) had to top them all with this little number...

I guess they never grow up.

1 comments:

Chad~Nicole said...

We've got our own little mob over here. :)