Monday, August 3, 2009

Stay safe from the monster!

A few months ago Nate and I were called to be nursery workers at our ward. While I was a little nervous at first, and some Sundays we're just trying to survive 2 hours of chaos, I have come to enjoy the time that we spend with the little kiddos. We don't have kids of our own yet but for 2 hours each Sunday of every other month we get to spend time with their sweet, though sometimes ornery, spirits. For a while now I've been thinking that I should keep note of some of the funny things they say/do.

A few weeks ago the lesson was on baptism and Nate was explaining how you get dressed in a suit that's all white.

Little Girl-"I want a purple or pink one!"

Nate-"They only come in white."

Little Girl-"How about black?!"

This last Sunday, during Toy Time, I was seated on the floor playing blocks with a very mild-mannered quiet girl named Shelby. I was in the midst of trying to build a bunny rabbit out of blocks (Shelby's request) when she quietly exclaimed something to the effect of "Oh good I'm safe from the monster." She went on to tell me how I was safe and so were William and Wyatt who were playing nearby. I was slightly confused but played along figuring it was some kind of imaginary game when maybe 5 minutes later the older brother (about 5 or 6 years old) of one of the other nursery girls who had come in to visit/play passed by us. Shelby playfully gasped, "the monster came close to me," and it dawned on me that the older boy was "the monster." I still don't know why he was the monster as I never saw him do or say anything mean to her, let alone really acknowledge her at all, nevertheless for the rest of nursery we had to stay safe from "the monster." Even at the end when one of the other nursery workers asked if I could take over blowing bubbles for her, Shelby sweetly said no because the monster was over there and I had to stay where I was to "stay safe." It's nice to have 3 year olds looking out for your safety.

1 comments:

Gardners said...

Oh boy, that is one calling that I'm glad I never received! They sure are a crack-up aren't they - and it's so nice you can give them back to their parents at the end of the day!! :)