Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Stepping back in time

A few weeks ago Nate and I went to the Renaissance Festival during their opening weekend when we could both get in for the price of one. I hadn't been to the festival for years and it was amazing to see how much it's grown, at least from what I remember.

The last time I went I was much younger and remember seeing Ded Bob perform on this little stage made out of 2x4's. One of my favorite old memories about the Renaissance Festival doesn't even come from my trip but rather from the aftermath of my friend Chari's trip with her family. After seeing the candlemaking and wax hand demonstrations, Chari thought this would be a great thing to try at home and somehow got her hands on a candle dipping kit. We spent an afternoon dipping candles in a variety of colored wax, then Chari got the idea that we should make wax molds of our hands and got out a larger container for the hot wax and a bowl of cold water. I remember thinking at the time that sticking my whole hand into a container of hot wax probably wasn't a good idea, but I went along with it anyway and while I remember it being uncomfortably hot to begin with it remarkably it worked. I walked away unscathed and with a mold of my fist that I believe I still have packed away today.

This year's trip was fun and memorable but not nearly as dangerous. We walked around, looked at the different shops, and watched the knight's joust all the while reveling in the great opportunity for people watching the festival provides. We also managed to catch two of Nate's favorite shows, Ded Bob and London Broil (a trio of comedic jugglers).



And what trip to the Renaissance Festival would be complete without gnawing on a big turkey leg.

0 comments: