Tuesday, December 1, 2009

25 Days of Christmas

It seems like just yesterday I was decorating for Halloween and now Christmas is 25 days away. Amazingly Nate and I are just about done with our Christmas shopping when historically I don't think I would have even started by this time. I believe I'm converted to early shopping from now on though because it is a nice feeling knowing that in the coming weeks I can enjoy the festivities without trying to combat the mall parking lot and busy stores. The older I get the less patience I have for massive shopping days.

In the spirit of enjoying the days leading up to Christmas and inspired by ABC Family's 25 days of Christmas, I'm going to do (or at least try to) my own 25 days of Christmas memories and traditions.

Day 1: I heard the bells on Christmas day

Growing up, every Christmas morning we'd wake up to find our stockings filled and layed carefully next to our beds, but we could not open them yet. When everyone woke up we would pile on to my parents' bed, still in our pj's, and open our wrapped stocking stuffers together. The bottom of the stocking would always be filled with M&M's, other chocolate goodies, and an orange or tangerine.
After we finished with the stockings it was time for presents...BUT...we had to wait in my parents' bedroom as my dad went out to really set the atmosphere. He'd turn on the Christmas lights and music, get the chairs situated, and stand ready with his camera. Many years I remember opening presents to the sounds of Mannheim Steamroller.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
As a kid, waiting the few minutes for dad was torture as the anticipation built.
Only when dad was all set and gave us the go ahead could we come out into the living room to see the glittering tree with presents spilling from underneath it.

0 comments: