Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 8: Oh Tannenbaum!



Last weekened we went out to find our Christmas tree. Not long ago, my brother in law, Cris, asked Nate and I if we were interested in taking a day trip to cut down a Christmas tree. I haven't had a real tree in ages and since my current fake tree is older than most people's shoes, plus the fact that this is our first tree, I thought it would be fun to take Cris up on his offer and perhaps start our own tree tradition. Saturday morning we got up bright (or should I say dark) and early to make the 4 hour drive past Show Low and past Sunrise ski resort, to the cutting fields. Outside the protection of the car it was a cold blustery day and my orginal plans to snap a quick Christmas card photo were unfortunately squashed. Looking chilly and rosy is one thing, blown away is another.


We walked, and walked, and walked all over the field in all directions. At each tree we considered I jokingly asked Nate if that one "spoke to him." After a bit of redneck ice skating, and some moments of contemplation we decided on two trees. Since we needed one more we drove further down the road and found a spot that was more protected from the wind. Here we found our tree and in it a little extra surprise... a bird's nest, carefully crafted but long since abandoned.



Loaded up on firs we made the drive back to the Valley, where after a nice warm bowl of homemade chili we got to work decorating the tree. Looks like we are officially decked out for the holiday.

1 comments:

Gardners said...

There we go! I love it - SO cute!