Saturday, December 19, 2009

Day 19: Nuttin for Christmas

Part of the Christmas spirit is sharing with those around us who are in need. During my years in the YSA program, my ward partnered up with the Spanish speaking ward that met in our building to find a few families to help provide Christmas for them. For a Family Home Evening before Christmas we'd wrap up all the presents and make cards. The generosity of the single adults amazed me, one year we even had the ability to provide a few bikes for the kids.

Similarly my family has frequently made it a holiday tradition to share our many blessings with those around us. We would almost always pull tags from the Christmas Angel tree at school or church. Another year I can remember having a single mother whom my dad knew and her couple kids over to the house for Christmas dinner and we had a few presents for them. In recent years my parents have, with the help of their Bishop, picked a few families in their ward that could use a helping hand and then anonymously deliver a pre-loaded Visa gift card along with a treat at their home.

I appreciate the example of generosity and love that my parents have provided me. It has taught me much over the years to watch them look out for the welfare of others. I hope that I can continue this example with my own family one day to show gratitude for the many blessings we receive.

0 comments: