Friday, December 18, 2009

Day 18: Jolly Old St Nicholas


By, Nate

I think that I can contribute to my wife's effort to have 25 days of Christmas memories in here. One of my favorite memories of Christmas was the year I decided to leave a little snack for Santa. This was no ordinary snack...it was chocolates.
Let me explain. Every year, my family would cover the kitchen table in plastic, melt down about 50 pounds of chocolate, and make various kinds of truffles, nut clusters, haystacks, Turtles, peanut butter cups, peanut brittle, you name it we made it. We would then use these as Christmas presents for all of our family friends and relatives.
So on Christmas Eve, I got an assortment of chocolates set out for my offering to Santa (on the advice of my father there were a large amount of Turtles involved, his favorite). I set these out, and left a cup right next to the plate. Being the conscientious kid that I was, I didn't leave any milk out, but I did leave a note explaining to Santa that the chocolates were his, and where he could find the refrigerator and where the milk was within the refrigerator.
The next morning, when I awoke, to my surprise the chocolates were actually gone! I looked in the cup, and there was a milk ring at the bottom! He had actually eaten them! He had found the milk! I looked at the note that I had left him and there was a message from him thanking me for the snack. I remember having this note on the corkboard in my room for years afterwards, until one day that I noticed a similarity between Santa's handwriting and my Dad's. But I will always remember that I honestly thought that I had fed Santa.

0 comments: